Sunday, December 03, 2006

What am I reading?

I went to the Missouri Romance Writers of America (MORWA) holiday party on Saturday and one of the questions that came up was to share the best book we'd read in 2006. Frankly, I went blank. I know I've read over 100 books. I'm a voracious reader, and just like I write in large spurts, I also read in large spurts.

When I couldn't remember one specific book, I rationalized that books are like wedding reception food. No one will remember if it's good, but everyone will remember if it sucked. Unless a book is so truly exceptional that it really resonates, it's just a like a movie. A diversion. Entertainment. Something to discuss, mull over, and then move on.

One that really got to me was Mitch Ablom's The Five People You Meet in Heaven. I knew how it ended. I knew the entire storyline. But I still cried. I still found myself moved and thinking about how we are all connected to one another. I thought about how my books might allow people 2-3 hours of diversion and feel good moments before they move on back to what is going on in their world.

So, from here forward, I'm going to share every now and then the books that really got to me. I'm going to let you know here what I read that I liked--allowing myself to create a record before I, myself, move on.

Michele

No comments: